Yesterday while listening to Dr Laura on the radio I heard a really great bit of wisdom. For the record, I highly respect and admire Dr Laura for her ability to see the heart of any given situation and be direct in her help. Yesterday was no exception.
A woman called asking Dr Laura to help her overcome her over-eating compulsion. After stating that the woman already knew what to do, she then said that too many people in this world do not tolerate any amount of suffering. She said that sometimes suffering is not a bad thing and basically that achieving great things sometimes requires suffering.
She told the woman to suffer the not stuffing her face, suffer the uncomfortable walks outside with her excess weight, suffer in knowing that she was doing it for her own betterment. By allowing herself to suffer she would eventually replace the suffering with a sense of accomplishment, sense of pride and self-esteem. She’d be a better person for her suffering.
I find two interesting parallels here. The Lord of All suffered mightily for the greatest good of All. He allowed Himself to suffer the greatest of all suffering so that we wouldn’t have to. He knew that only through suffering could any of us reach our truest potential. He did it for our betterment and I am a better person for His suffering.
Additionally, the scriptures use the word suffer, but in the scriptures suffer means “help.” So, with this meaning in mind, Dr Laura was advising the woman to “help” herself. Sometimes suffering is really just “helping.”
On a side note, please don’t assume that I know if you want to follow my blog once I go private. I can only assume, with any certainty, that my family cares to know the little trivialities of my life (in addition to those of you who have already commented; thanks!). I don’t want to leave anyone out that wants to be included, so please just let me know, even if you think I already do.
5 comments:
Great post Rach. I know you are feeling the effects of "suffering" with your current weight loss regime. Congratulations on the success so far. The reward is worth feeling your best. I think you look fantastic!!!
Girl, you know I want both...to suffer and to follow your blog :-).
I wish that you were here, or me there, to "suffer" together! I'm just not very motivated to get back outside and "MOVE IT".
Rachel, you need to write a book. You are excellent with words and always state your thoughts and feelings so well. I love to read the things you write. Also: ME, ME! Add me. I know I told you today, but I thought I would add it to my comment :)
Good grief! There are lots of new posts since I looked last, so I'm going to comment again on the same one so you are sure not to miss it. Your bruise looks TERRIBLE! I don't mean that in a rude way, but really...OUCH! I am so glad that, like you said, it wasn't anywhere else. On another note, I had so much fun reading about your trip. All the pictures are so cute, you really captured some perfect kodak moments. Poor Mason and Jarom and their mosquito bitten legs! That's the worst I've ever seen! Reminds me of Jarom being attacked by those white flies on our little hike. Time to add bug spray to the diaper bag, eh? Rachel, I feel the same way- seeing Brett loving on our kids is the most precious thing to me and I don't think much else makes me happier than those moments. Those were some sweet pictures too. I'm so glad you had such a fun family vacation together. Now back to life I guess. I'm sure more of those really good days ( like the one you posted about) are in store for you now that you've all had a vacation break. Thanks again for calling this morning. You made my day! Talk to you again soon. We love you guys!
Post a Comment